Sunday, September 23, 2012

Gingerbread Man Fun!

Run, run, as fast as you can...
I absolutely love the beginning of the year in Kindergarten (well except the being totally exhausted from repeating yourself ALL DAY LONG, and having to teach those precious little babies so many new things and hearing them call out my name what seems like three hundreds times in an hour) Okay, so maybe I don't absolutely love the beginning of the year, but I do love teaching all things gingerbread!!!
I have always done Gingerbread man activities with my Kindergartners and they love it too! Here are a few things we did this year.




This year I made a Language/Literature Chart with some of the Gingerbread stories I read in class. The kids really enjoyed making this chart and it really helped teach them the concepts of title, author/illustrator, characters and setting.




My favorite Gingerbread Man story right now is this little guy,



Love, love, love how cute the illustrations are in this book.  It's also a great story to read right before taking your own students on a tour of their school. After we went searching the school for the GB man, the kids found he had left them a special treat of- what else, gingerbread cookies! We made this graph to see which part of the cookie everyone ate first.




The kids had a ball looking for the Gingerbread man and continue to ask when he's coming back.  Just the other day one of my kiddos was sure she had found a clue from him on the playground when she found an old chip bag!!  Many of these projects are from Deanna Jump's Gingerbread man unit.  It's awesome. There are so many activities though, that I'm saving some for around Christmas time.





2 comments:

  1. Your gingerbread man is cuter than mine! I may be copying yours next year :)

    I just nominated you for the Liebster Award - stop by my blog to check out how it works.

    Christy
    Crayons and Whimsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness your blog is so cute! I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete